Wednesday, March 4, 2009

WTF?!


Okay, so I was trying not to comment on the Presy's chimp cartoon plight, but after receiving tons of e-mails on the subject (well, not that many, but you know how people

exaggerate when trying to make a point), I feel compelled to give my two cents. (And trust me, two cents on this subject is all I have. And, I scraped this up. It's just too energy sapping.)

First of all, how in the hell does a major publication that is supposed to be accountable for the integrity of what it prints allow a cartoonist's ignorance to infect its pages with blatant disrespect for our Presy?! Actually, dude is not ignorant. He is a very astute artist and knew exactly what the hell he was doing and knew without a doubt that his deliberate display of racism would be published for all the world to see.

So okay, the cartoonist and the paper declares, in short, those who felt offended misinterpreted the point of the cartoon. Okay, then. Sure.

Note: Big ups to all those who took their time to go out and boycott the New York Post. The thing is, I didn't get to see that powerful, moving event. Why? Because many major networks, including CNN, didn't consider it a newsworthy event. Hunh?

So, let me get this straight: In the U.S., Chris Brown beating the shit out of Rihanna is a more newsworthy event than potential death threats, ridicule, humiliation and racism against our Pres? Wow.

And come on B&N! How do you not know when a non-employee is putting a book in your display window?! Please come with one better than that.

So...where do we go from here? Well, I can tell you all this: get over it. Racism, covert and overt, personal and institutionalized exists and always will. So I say, don't get too caught up and waste too much energy moaning and complaining about it.

Instead, do something. The best thing? Turn their purses upside down. If you stop buying from the likes of B&N (damn, they were/are my fave; I'm still undecided) and The New York Post, or stop watching CNN, maybe they'll catch a clue that you cannot slander people and get away with it.

Karma is and always has been a bitch.

Until next time,
couler avec la lumiƩre et l'univers

1 comment:

  1. Hey, delmetria. Just checked out your blog; it's great! I agree with you, too.

    (Have you read "Letter from a Birmingham Jail" yet?!)

    Wishing you the best,
    Dawn (Anderson)

    ReplyDelete