Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Job Fairs



Attending job fairs is fast becoming one of the biggest wastes of time, gas and energy of all time.

I recently attended a couple of job fairs in Dallas to try my luck in the proverbial "Corporate America." Each experience helped me to decide that never again, unless I was forced at gunpoint, will I put myself through such grueling, disappointing, awkward experiences.

At each one, there were no visible instructions or guides to tell us what to expect. However, one

particular fair stands out as downright comedic. After two hours of putting all the puzzle pieces together on what to do and where to go, in a building that had no air conditioning to mix with the 90 degree temperature outside, I finally made it to a potential employer, only to be told to visit their Web site and complete their application online. And there it is. I got dressed and spent money on gas to travel to downtown Dallas only to visit about 15 employers who all said visit their Web site.

WTF?!

When will someone create the virtual job fair where at a certain time of day, employers will have a group of decision-makers log on to their Web site and wait to receive applications and resumes from potential employees? Then, in a "chatroom" setting, interview applicants and follow up with an in-person interview with candidates their interested in.

In the age of technology, that makes SO much more sense to me. Am I the only one?

Usually, most people who attend job fairs do not have jobs so (duh) who needs to waste money on gas for a wasted, ineffective trip? A virtual job fair would save gas, time and the sanity of both job seekers and employers everywhere!

Now why didn't I think of that! Oh. I did.

Until next time...couler avec la lumiƩre et l'univers

No comments:

Post a Comment