Saturday, February 27, 2010

The Writer's Way Pt. 1

Just Say No

Recently, I found my "To Do" list filled with time-consuming writing projects that I was not getting paid to write. Suddenly, the majority of the work I did was for a friend or family member--free! And because I'm a self-subscribed perfectionist, whether I'm writing for free or charging, I tackle all assignments like I'm getting paid.

Writers, you know the drill: you sweat bullets because you find yourself staring at a blank page for hours; you hear time ticking away really loud while the rest of the world is in suspended animation except your clock, and finally you question your ability as a writer when you've suddenly let the deadline sneak upon you which means you'll have to pull an all-nighter, only to realize you had another day.

I'm not sure how I let it get so out of control, but things had become so miserable, I'd started avoiding calls from everyone I know. Instead, I welcomed "Unknown" calls because I struggled with telling people no. I knew that I had to find a solution when a friend insisted I write her blog for her on a weekly basis for free! WTF?!

I was too out done. So here's what I did. I created a few "sound bites" that I've rehearsed and belt out like an automated operator whenever someone asks me to work for free. They go like this:

1. Sure I can do your resume! I only charge $[insert rate] and I can have it to you within two days. You can even pay on my Web site!

2. Of course I'll help with that essay. I usually charge $[insert rate] for essays, but for you, I'll only charge $[insert discounted rate].

I lost quite a bit of my "clientele" after that, but I was no longer stressed. Now I know that when I sit down to write for someone, PayPal will notify me that "You Have Received New Funds!"

No comments:

Post a Comment